‘Sofia Songs’ is released by Super Fan 99 Records to coincide with the release of The Beguiled.
In case you hadn’t heard, the great American director Sofia Coppola has a new film out this year. It’s called The Beguiled, and it’s one of the year’s very best. To celebrate its imminent release, Super Fan 99 Records have announced a movie themed 50th release inspired by the films of Sofia Coppola, comprising covers of songs featured in her movies.
Here’s what the label had to tell us about the release:
“We’ve been long time admirers of Sofia Coppola’s movies since renting The Virgin Suicides from our local Blockbuster. Film after film was soundtracked with the most impeccable selections playing a key role in the overall aesthetic of her movies. It seems the part the music plays in transporting you to her worlds has not gone unnoticed with the vinyl soundtracks of Lost In Translation and Marie Antoinette sometimes selling for up to £300 a piece.
“We asked bands from our label and beyond to choose songs from the soundtracks and cover them for this unique release and the response was great. Bands from as far a field as China, New Zealand and Scotland have contributed tracks ranging from lo-fi bedroom 4 track recordings to full band studio versions and we are now very excited to present ‘Sofia Songs’ The compilation marks the 50th release on the label and perfectly marries our love of film and DIY music culture.”
Illustrator and long time Super Fan collaborator Kieran Gabriel has designed the sleeve and each boxed cassette copy will also include a movie script style guide book with detailed facts on each movie and it’s music. Songs by Air, Phoenix, Frank Ocean, My Bloody Valentine and many more reworked by your favourite Super Fan bands, what’s not to love? And just in time for the release of The Beguiled on 14 July.
‘Sofia Songs’ is released 7 July, 2017 via superfan99records.com. Check out the full track list below:
1. Sugar Candy Mountain ‘Playground Love’ by Air (The Virgin Suicides)
2. Winter ‘City Girl’ by Kevin Shields (Lost In Translation)
3. JUNKS ‘Hong Kong Garden’ by Siouxsie and the Banshees (Marie Antoniette)
4. Mooncall ‘I’ll Try Anything Once’ by Julian Casablancas (Somewhere)
5. The Pooches ‘What’s So Funny Bout Peace, Love and Understanding? by Elvis Costello (Lost In Translation)
6. Lips ‘Super Rich Kids’ by Frank Ocean (The Bling Ring)
7. Dot Plaza ‘Too Young’ by Phoenix (Lost In Translation)
8. Mtbrd ‘So Far Away (mtbrd remix) by Carole King (The Virgin Suicides)
9. Calvin Love ‘I’m Not In Love’ by 10cc (The Virgin Suicides)
10. Free Cake For Every Creature ‘Just Like Honey’ by The Jesus and Mary Chain (Lost In Translation)
11. Patsy’s Rats ‘More Than This’ by Roxy Music (Lost In Translation)
12. Queen of Jeans ‘Cool’ by Gwen Stefani (Somewhere)
13. Husband Material ‘Bad Girls (remix) by MIA (The Bling Ring)
14. Matt McKee ‘What Ever Happened?’ by The Strokes (Marie Antoinette)
Published 7 Jun 2017
Sofia Coppola stuns the Cannes crowd with an intoxicating film about repressed female sexuality.
The writer/director tells us how she toyed with gender politics and screen hunks for her new film, The Beguiled.
Sofia Coppola’s opulent period drama explores female self-empowerment in a man’s world.