The organisers of Record Store Day have just announced the full list of limited edition vinyl being released for this year’s event. Among the highlights are reissues of music by The Smiths, David Bowie, Prince, Fleetwood Mac, Grateful Dead and Lou Reed. But the reissue we’re most excited about is the original soundtrack to Space Jam.
If you grew up in the 1990s, chances are you’ll have fond memories of this ultra-zany basketball-themed toon caper, yet despite those warm and fuzzy nostalgia feelings it is not a film that holds up particularly well some 20 years on (suffice to say it didn’t trouble our recent ranking of the decade’s 100 best movies).
The soundtrack is the real deal though. Featuring artists like R Kelly, D’Angelo, Quad City DJs and Seal, the initial vinyl release was crammed with R&B and hip hop earworms, and has since become something of a collector’s item. It arrived at a time when movie tie-in singles were all the rage, with R Kelly’s chart-topping ‘I Believe I Can Fly’ one of the defining songs of this distinctly ’90s trend.
We’ll be first in the queue at our local record store come 22 April when this unexpected reissue lands courtesy of Atlantic records.
Check out the official tracklist:
01. ‘Fly Like An Eagle’ – Seal
02. ‘The Winner’ – Coolio
03. ‘Space Jam’ – Quad City DJs
04. ‘I Believe I Can Fly’ – R Kelly
05. ‘Hit Em High (The Monsters Anthem)’ – B-Real, Busta Rhymes, Coolio, LL Cool J, Method Man
06. ‘I Found My Smile Again’ – D’Angelo
07. ‘For You I Will’ – Monica
08. ‘Upside Down (Round-N-Round)’ – Salt N Pepa
09. ‘Givin’ U All That I Got’ – Robin S
10. ‘Basketball Jones’ – Barry White & Chris Rock
11. ‘I Turn To You’ – All-4-One
12. ‘All Of My Days’ – R Kelly
13. That’s The Way (I Like It)’ – Spin Doctors
14. ‘Buggin’’ – Bugs Bunny
Published 23 Mar 2017
By Elena Lazic
"A very intense fever dream" is how our brave test subject describes this ultra-wacky Michael Jordan vehicle.
Co-star Zach Galligan reveals the inside story of ‘lost masterpiece’ Nothing Lasts Forever.